‘Our’, ‘Us’ and ‘We’ refers to Carvan Pty Ltd, ABN 27 623 985 919, Authorised Representative No. 1261456 of Breeze Underwriting Pty Ltd, ABN 65 003 922 487, AFSL No. 235130, trading as Carvan Insurance at PO Box 550, Kotara NSW 2289, Australia and is underwriting agent for the insurer, The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd ABN 78 090 584 473, AFSL 241436
‘Personal Information’ is any information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
‘Related Companies'has the same meaning as related bodies corporate and the meaning in section 50 of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
‘Sensitive Information’ is a sub set of Personal Information defined as information or an opinion about an individual’s:
- racial or ethnic origin; or
- political opinions; or
- membership of a political association; or
- religious beliefs or affiliations; or
- philosophical beliefs; or
- membership of a professional or trade association; or
- membership of a trade union; or
- sexual orientation or practices; or
- criminal record; or
Our CommitmentWe recognise that Your privacy is very important to You. We are committed to ensuring the privacy of Your Personal Information.
The Privacy Act details Australian Privacy Principles that set minimum standards for how private sector organisations such as Us should collect, use, disclose, store, provide access to and correction of Personal Information.
This policy may change from time to time and all changes will be posted on Our websites so please check it periodically. Alternatively, You can email Our privacy officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to PO Box 550, Kotara NSW 2290 and request a copy of Our most recent policy.
Types of Personal Information We collect
The Personal Information We collect depends on the products and services We offer You or You use or apply for (and may also require Us to collect Personal Information about other people such as a co-insured, or Your spouse, partner or children). Typically the details We collect and hold include Your name, contact details (address, phone and fax number, email address), date of birth, gender and payment details. We may also collect information that is specific to a particular product.
Why We collect Your Personal InformationWe collect Personal Information to provide, offer and administer Our various products and services, or otherwise as permitted by law. Such purposes include responding to Your enquiries, providing You with assistance You request of Us, maintaining and administering Our products and services (for example processing requests for quotes, applications for insurance, underwriting and pricing policies, issuing You with a policy, managing claims, processing payments); processing Your survey or questionnaire responses; market research and the collection of general statistical information using common internet technologies such as cookies; providing You with marketing information regarding other products and services (of Ours or a third party); quality assurance and training purposes; performing administrative operations (including accounting and risk management) and any other purpose identified at the time of collecting Your information.
We will only collect ‘Sensitive Information’ where it is relevant to underwriting an insurance policy or dealing with, managing, or processing a claim. We may use or disclose it by giving it to Related Companies and Our appointed third parties for research and analysis and to design, test or underwrite new insurance products or features. Your Sensitive Information will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose unless We have Your permission.
We may combine or link Personal Information We already hold about You to other Personal Information We collect about You. Third party marketing service providers may combine the Personal Information We disclose to them with information they already hold about You, in order to provide You with more relevant advertising about Our or their products and services.
Third parties are prohibited from using Your Personal Information for purposes other than those for which it is supplied.
If You do not consent to Us collecting, using or disclosing all or some of the Personal Information We request, We may not be able to provide You with Our products or services such as processing Your application for insurance, Your claim or any payment due to You. It may also prevent Us from maintaining or administering Your policy or the provision of information regarding Our products or services or those of any third party.
How We collect Your Personal InformationWe collect Your Personal Information from You in various ways and at several different points, including via telephone (including any form of mobile phone text messaging), Our website, hard copy forms or email.
Unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for Us to do so, We collect Your Personal Information directly from You. There may, however, be occasions where We collect Your Personal Information from someone else.
Collection of Your Personal Information may include Us collecting from:
- Our authorised representatives;
- Our distributors or referrers, agents, business partners and affiliates, other insurers, or Related Companies;
- Our service providers;
- third parties for the purposes of assessing a claim or providing You with insurance cover or other services;
- another party involved in a claim;
- family members or anyone You have authorised to deal with Us on Your behalf;
- Our legal or other advisers;
- social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- the Financial Ombudsman Services or any other external dispute resolution body;
- Policyholders or others who are authorised or noted on the policy as having a legal interest in it, including where You are an insured person under the policy but not the Policyholder or another insured where the policy is issued in joint names;
- clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards program providers and other relevant organisations;
- publicly available sources of information;
- data partners, analytic consultants and other similar organisations;
- any other organisation or person where You have consented to them providing Your Personal Information to Us or consented to Us obtaining Personal Information from them.
A number of interactive tools or facilities may be available on Our websites. If You use any of these tools or facilities, We generally do not collect Your Personal Information unless a particular tool permits You to suspend or save information and recover those details at a later time. In these circumstances, Your Personal Information may be retained on Our systems but is not processed or used by Us except that it may be used for the purposes of online quoting and subsequent follow up.
From time to time We may request Personal Information from You through competitions or surveys. Participation in these competitions or surveys is completely voluntary and You, therefore, have the choice of whether or not You disclose the Personal Information requested. We may use Personal Information We collect through competitions to determine prize winners, award prizes and notify winners. We use Personal Information We may collect through surveys or questionnaires to assess Your satisfaction with Our products and services and to determine how We may be able to better service Your needs.
Anonymity and Pseudonymity
Unless it is impracticable, You have the option of interacting with Us anonymously or by the use of a pseudonym. For example, You may visit and browse Our websites and use some of Our online facilities without having to reveal any Personal Information.
Anonymous data – We use technology to collect anonymous information about the use of our website, for example when you browse our website our service provider logs your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages and links accessed and the type of browser used. It does not identify you personally and we only use this information for statistical purposes and to improve the content and functionality of our website, to better understand our clients and markets and to improve our services.
Cookies and Our collection of information through Our websiteIn order to collect this anonymous data we may use “cookies”. Cookies are small pieces of information which are sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Sometimes they identify users where the website requires information to be retained from one page to the next. This is purely to increase the functionality of the site. Cookies by themselves cannot be used to discover the identity of the user. Cookies do not damage your computer and you can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie so that you can decide if you want to accept it. Once you leave the site, the cookie is destroyed and no personal or other information about you is stored.
Forms - Our Website allows visitors to submit information via Self-Service forms (Claim Forms, Employment and Contact request). The information submitted via the Forms is not encrypted – an option is available for claim forms to be downloaded in PDF format for faxing. Should you be concerned about confidentiality of the claim information, this would be the recommended method.
Direct MarketingOn occasion, We may use Your Personal Information to provide You with information about the products and services We or Our distributors, referrers, agents, business partners, affiliates and any proposed new or incoming insurer may offer. If You do not wish to receive any of this information You can at any time let Us know by contacting Us.
Collecting, Sharing and Disclosing Your Personal InformationWe may collect Personal Information from and/or share Your Personal Information with Our Related Companies and other third parties who provide services to Us or on Our behalf.
We may collect and/or share Your Personal Information with other third parties or any unrelated party under the following circumstances:
- as provided in any collection notice We give You;
- where You have provided Your consent (which may be given expressly or may reasonably be implied by Your conduct or Our existing business relationship);
- for purposes related to: research (including market research), planning, service development, security, testing and risk management;
- where a product or service You apply for is provided or supplied by or through a third party;
- where a third party, such as a mailing house, carries out activities on Our behalf;
- if disclosure is otherwise required in order to provide You with a particular product or service;
- where information is received from another insurer (for reasons including to assess insurance risks or to assist with an investigation);
- in order to ensure Our ability to continue providing products and services;
- if disclosure is required for the purposes of conducting business analysis in order to improve Our products and services;
- if disclosure is required by law or requested by statutory, regulatory or ombudsman authorities or law enforcement agency;
- to an insurance broker or agent acting on Your behalf or who You have designated to act on Your behalf;
- where a third party has an interest in the product or service We supply, for example a mortgagee, referral agent, third party beneficiary, distributor, insurance intermediary, business partner, affiliate or any other insurer;
- Our professional advisors including Our accountants, auditors and lawyers, contracted advisors and service providers;
- where a third party acquires, or considers acquiring, an interest in Us;
- where We are authorised, required or permitted by law to use or disclose information; and
- where it is necessary for a third party to assist Us in providing Our services, for example, reinsurers, insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus, lawyers, accountants, loss adjusters and others involved in the providing of services or claims handling processes.
Related and unrelated third parties to whom Your Personal Information is disclosed are required to keep the information confidential and only use it for the same purposes as We are permitted to use it.
Quality and Security of Your Personal InformationWe aim to ensure that Your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up to date.
During the course of Your relationship with Us We will ask You to inform Us of any changes to Your Personal Information. You should however contact Us at any time to update Your Personal Information or advise Us that the information We have is not accurate or complete.
We are committed to keeping Your Personal Information secure and will use all reasonable precautions to protect it from loss, misuse, interference and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure including:
Access to and correction of Your Personal InformationYou may generally access the information We hold about You and request corrections. This right is, subject to the exceptions detailed in the Australian Privacy Principles.
For example, We may refuse access where the:
Where providing access would reveal evaluative information in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, We will provide an explanation for the decision rather than direct access to the information.
In most cases, You may access Your Personal Information at no cost to You by contacting Our privacy officer at email@example.com or by writing to PO Box 550, Kotara NSW 2290. For access to complex or Sensitive Information or more detailed requests for access to Your Personal Information, for example, access to information that is archived, We may require You to place Your request in writing and charge You a fee for Our reasonable costs of retrieving and supplying the information to You.
In all cases You will be asked to verify who You are before Your Personal Information is provided. All requests for Personal Information will be handled in a reasonable period of time.
How to contact Us about Privacy
Date: 3 May 2018